Followers

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bloomin' Onions

I hate to admit it, but I was born with a genetic defect in my thumb.  Speaking more specifically, I was born with a black thumb.  And it is not just me.  My mother has some wonderful talents, but even she will admit gardening is not one of them.  Thankfully, my husband's family are avid gardeners and have shed some light on this unknown world for me.

I figured I would start out easy with an herb garden, and I have to say that it is one thing in my life that really brings me joy.  It gives me such a sense of accomplishment to watch my little plants grow and also since one of my passions is cooking, I love that I get to use them in so many of my recipes.  As a matter of fact, I have been tossing around the idea of combining one of my herbs and things I have learned about it along with a recipe that I most use it for/showcases it best.  Sorry... getting ahead of myself.

The point is: my herbs make me happy.  Moving on...

One day as I was browsing through pinterest, I found a link that said "Never buy scallions again."  When I read the blog, I was shocked that I had not thought of it before.  Basically, all it said was to:

A. Buy scallions from your local grocery store (When I bought them from our Kroger, they were 69 cents for a bunch)
B. Put them in a glass of water by a sunny window for 3 days to root them
C. Plant them

Easy as that!  Mine have gone crazy!  I don't typically do this, but a few weeks ago I saw some buds appearing, and I just had to see what the flowers looked like.  Oh, and no... the scallions did not grow to the top of our fence.  That would be called an optical illusion, my friend ; )




I was telling my mom about growing these scallions, and she asked me the question, "Well, what if you want to use the white part of the onion?"  I have thought about this question for a week or so, and what I would do would be unroot the scallion, cut the top part of the scallion, leaving the bulb of the plant intact.  Next, I would replant the bulb with a little bit sticking out of the dirt, and wait for it to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment