Followers

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sage: An Herb a Day

 We have reached the end of my herb week.  I decided to finish with a very simple recipe that hits all the right flavor notes and is very comforting.  Since this was my last recipe in this blog series, I wanted to celebrate by having some special friends over to share this meal with us.  The food was delicious, but the company was even better.  This is my Sage Butternut Squash Bake.

Sage Butternut Squash Bake 


Look at those scrumptious pieces of sausage, velvety chunks of butternut squash with verdant flecks of sage mixed throughout!  If you haven't noticed, I have been helping Matt with his GRE vocabulary flashcards.


Take a 2lb butternut squash, peel it and remove the seeds.  I have found that this is easier to do with the straightest squash you can find.  Cut the squash into cubes and place on a baking sheet with 1 TBSP  of olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, toss, and cook for another 15 minutes.


They turned out so crunchy and golden on the outside with a creamy texture on the inside.


I took 1lb of mild pork sausage and browned it


 In a separate pan, I melted 1 TBSP of butter



 I then added 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts and 5 sage leaves.  Sage goes so so well with butternut squash.  I don't know what it is that makes it so good, but it is a fantastic combination.

Lastly, I mixed all of the ingredients together, and... that's it!  Super simple and yet so delectable.  Thanks, Will and Whitney for such a fun dinner.  Y'all are such wonderful friends, and we will have to do it again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment