Followers

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Friendship Cookies

Let me start off by saying, baking is not my thing.  It is simply something you have to have a feel for, and lets just say, I don't got it!  This is why you so rarely see a dessert on this blog.  To branch out from my pastas and pizzas, I decided to throw in these delectable cookies.  

Several weeks ago, my dear friend, Sara invited Matt and me over for dinner with her and her sweet boyfriend, Dustin...wait...Justin...no, Dustin.  (Sorry, a little inside joke).  I asked if I could bring anything, and she suggested a dessert.  So, naturally, the whole week I planned and planned what I was going to bring.  Just kidding!  That is not exactly what happened.  I get home from school Friday and realize I have completely forgotten I was supposed to bring a dessert!

In a panic, I dig through my pantry to see what I have that could possibly whip something up with.  And that, my friends is how I came up with my Friendship Cookies.  They have that comforting, buttery flavor with chocolate, nuts, and coconut smattered throughout.  All of my favorite things mixed into one, just like my dear friend, Sara.

Friendship Cookies


One thing I decided I really needed to invest in is a cookie scented candle.  The smell of cookies baking in the oven is probably on up there in favorite smells with the first fire in the fireplace and flowers blooming to announce the start of spring.  


Add one cup of flour to a bowl along with 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and baking soda.  Wisk the dry ingredients together.


In a mixing bowl add 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar,1/2 cup of light brown sugar and a dash of vanilla extract.


Mix the butter/sugar mixture until it is creamy 


Add one large egg to the butter/sugar and mix until well combined


Although it doesn't look like it is on low, turn your mixer on low and gradually add the flour.


This is the part where I tell you to take the mixing paddle out and do not lick the batter off because there is raw egg in the dough... but I won't tell on you if you won't tell on me!


Sad dough with nothing in it :(((


Add 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chunks if you prefer)


Sprinkle in 1/3 a cup of shredded sweetened coconut.  Coconut is not a typical ingredient that I use (which is why it was left over in my pantry, I am sure), but it adds a really good texture to these cookies without adding too much coconutty flavor.


Finally, add 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts.  Mix your morsels into the dough until they are well combined.  You will have a hearty dough with speckles of deliciousness all throughout.


Spoon out generous lumps to make very large cookies.  Tip: Small cookies are just not appropriate unless they are for a wedding/baby shower where girls feel better about eating 5 or 6 small cookies instead of 2 large cookies.


Please do not judge me if I happened to sneak a cookie dough ball before they hit the oven.


After you have let the cookies bake in a 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, they will have magically transformed into the ooey, gooey cookies that will be a delightful finish to any meal.  These cookies are too good to keep to yourself!  Grab your best girlfriend and share stories of the good ole days.  Don't forget the milk!





Dear, sweet Sara!  We have shared so many fun times together and I am so grateful for your friendship.  Whether it be watching the Secret Garden, rooming together at formals, having wrecks, dressing up in Aunt Fannie's clothes, crying over heartbreaks, or laughing over lizard tongues, we always have the best time and I love you very much!

Ingredients
1 cup of flour
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup, unsalted and softened)
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
dash of vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup of shredded coconut
1/3 cup of chopped walnuts

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  To a medium bowl, add your flour, salt, and baking soda.  Wisk the dry ingredients together.

In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl with a hand mixer), add the butter, sugars, and vanilla.  Mix until thoroughly combined.  Add 1 large egg to the butter/sugar mixture and mix together.  Add the chocolate chips, coconut, and walnuts to the bowl.  Stir together until everything is evenly dispersed.

Spoon out large drops of dough onto a cookie sheet.  Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes or until the tops begin to brown.  This recipe makes about 15 cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment