Followers

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Hershey Bar Pie

Yay!! Dessert blog!!  Let me give you a little insight into my soul.  I am and will always be a girl that craves salty food.  My weaknesses are as follows: popcorn, chips, and french fries.  Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy the occasional sweet thing, but it is not what drives me to eat.  Please do not hate me.  I know what I just confessed is not a popular opinion, which brings me to my dear, sweet-toothed husband.  In Matt's world, he eats a small dinner, for sake of argument, lets call it an appetizer, so that he can be rewarded for eating all of his dinner by having a big dessert.

A typical dessert for Matt would be Oreos with a glass of milk, ice cream, or his favorite...pie.  My sweetie loves pie.  He loves talking about pie.  Well, of course, there is apple pie, then pumpkin pie, oh yes, and pecan pie, but, wait! don't forget about blueberry pie.  The list goes on and on.  He then asks me, "What pie is your favorite?"  I reply, "Chicken pot pie."  Matt then lets out a really long sigh, shakes his head, and says, "You just don't get it."

But in honor of my love, I decided to make a pie.  The pie recipe I am about to share with you is my favorite dessert pie in the world.  My mom only makes this pie on special occasions, so for all of these years, I believed it to be a labor intensive process.  I could not have been more wrong! It is only five ingredients, and easy as pie to make (see what I did there?).  This is my mom's Hershey Bar Pie.

Hershey Bar Pie


If you like chocolate, you are going to love this pie!  It only takes 5 ingredients: 1 graham cracker crust, 6 Hershey bars with almonds, 10 marshmallows, 1/2 cup of milk, and an 8 oz container of Cool Whip.


Take the marshmallows, and put them in a medium sized pan 


Add the 1/2 cup of milk


and lastly, the Hershey bars with almonds.  Turn the eye temperature to medium low heat.  This step is key to having a yummy pie.  If the pan gets too hot, the chocolate and the milk can burn.  The process of melting the chocolate and the marshmallows took about 15 minutes because I did not want to risk anything burning.


Once everything is melted, the mixture will look something like this.


The consistency will be slightly thinner than pudding and more like a cake batter.


Pour the chocolate into the prepared pie crust.  Try to stir the almonds around to evenly distribute.  I had a friend ask me if they could use chocolate bars without the almonds.  I am almost 100% positive that you can, but once the pie is "set," it is has the soft texture of pudding.  I think the almonds make the pie delicious by adding that crunchy, toasty, nutty texture, but feel free to buy regular Hershey bars.

Now, pop the pie in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably 2-3 hours.  Here's the fun part!  That spatula you used earlier is ready for you to lick it clean.  There is nothing raw in this pie, so no guilt on licking the spoon.  Trust me, you know you want to.


After the pie has cooled completely in the fridge, slather an 8oz container of Cool Whip over the top, and dish you up some Hershey Bar Pie.

Ingredients
1 prepared graham cracker crust
6 Hershey bars with almonds
10 Marshmallows
1/2 cup of milk
8oz container of Cool Whip

Directions

Unwrap your Hershey bars.  Heat a medium pan over medium low heat.  Add the marshmallows, milk, and Hershey bars to the pan.  Stir until everything is combined and melted, about 15 minutes.  Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared crust and try to distribute the almonds evenly.  Place pie in the fridge for 2-3 hours or until cooled completely.  Use a spatula to slather the pie with the Cool Whip.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment