Followers

Friday, November 2, 2012

For There Your Heart Will Be

As many of you know, we recently had a devastating event occur for my Milling family.  Early Sunday morning around 4:00 am, I received a call.  It was an unknown number, but since my husband was away on a hunting trip, I thought maybe he was calling me to say 'hello' before he went out for the day.  When I answered the phone, I was surprised to hear my father-in-law's voice.  Immediately, I knew something was very, very wrong.

"Emilee, This is David.  The house is burned down.  Everything is gone.  We lost everything.  I am calling you from a neighbor's house because we do not have phones.  We barely escaped with our lives."
The reality of what I am hearing hits me hard.  "What?  What do I need to do?"
"I...I don't know.  I don't know."
"Do you know what caused it?"
Pause "Yes...I put out a space heater for the cats..."

Over the following few minutes, I try and get in touch with Matt.  I had not heard from him the night before which is unusual, but this made me think his battery was dead on his phone.  After calling several numbers, I get in touch with him and deliver the terrible news.  One of the reasons I love my wonderful husband is that he never panics.  I always feel so safe with him because no matter what happens, he keeps a level head and knows the best course of action.  He is a true leader and I wish I had the strength he has.

Needless to say, we were all very much in shock the day that it happened, but I can't help but see God's hand in this situation.  Although the fire alarms did not go off, Mrs. Lisa and Mr. David made it out safely.  All of their pets are safe and sound.  Even though the rooms were burned and the ceiling caved in, money, checkbooks, credit cards, driver's licenses were found and untouched.  Even though the destruction was devastating, the things we care about most are safe.







I was brought into a reality check this week.  The point of my entire blog is not about yummy food, growing my herbs, or any of this material stuff.  It should be about having our hearts in the right place and treasuring the right things. "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

As always, we appreciate your continued prayers for us during this time.  It means more to us than you may ever know.


No comments:

Post a Comment